Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Trypanophobia

Of late, I have started feeling that Diabetes might have been knocking the door of my health. This was following some vague signs of Diabetes, that I knew being a Google Doctor.
And today, I just wanted to get myself checked. (Although, I have changed my dinner time to 6 PM from 9 PM as one mitigating measure incase it's because of eating too much- a blunt thought I have).
Today, I availed an appointment(ofcourse with a support from known one) and did a blood test, which I was thinking of doing since some time. However, I forgot that, to get the result, the toughest stepping stone to drawing blood was getting my antecubital fossa(part opposite to elbow) pierced. Although, it's not a mere fear of getting pierced that bothered me, the sight and the size of injection that did . Or perhaps it's the combination of other incidents of childhood and now that contributed to this pathetic feeling.
I am sure, I am not alone when it comes this weird fear of injection that's called Trypanophobia. Many of us have been a part of child- frightening tactics at home or in neighborhood that could also have been fueling this fear.
Whenever a child nagged her/his parents about not taking meals or not listening to parents, many of us would frighten a child by telling them we are from health and have carried an injection to inject anyone who cried or didn't listen to parents.
Or even in my personal experience, I have often deterred my cousins from following me to Bazar by telling them that I was going to hospital to get injected and if they wanted the same they might follow me.
So, the bottom line is, almost everyone of us consciously or unconsciously have been feeding our mind into thinking that injection is a very scary thing, by way of frightening children or through own personal experience of the past. And that translates to reality when we near an injection. And same happend to me. Trypanophobia!

No comments:

Post a Comment